The Lost Decade


(Ok, my bad for completely lacking behind on writing blog posts. Indeed, a lot has happened in the early part of this year.)

The Lost Decade

Thanks to the now presumably dead Osama Bin Laden, I would always remember my first day in the US. It was September 10, 2001, one day before 9/11 occurred. On that September night, I would had never imagined that 1) a terrorist attack would happen the next morning, and 2) I would be spending the next ten years of my life in the US. Not really because I didn’t want to, more because I was 18, who thinks that far when you are a teenager?! (Wow, haven’t used that word in awhile!) You can truly feel your age when you can say ten years passed by in a blink of an eye. 

Japan called its worst economic period the lost decade. I’m calling my decade in the US ‘the lost decade’ for a very different reason. It’s ten years that are forever lost in history and memories, never to be taken back or re-lived again. To be honest, I cannot imagine a better place to spend my past ten years. The US was indeed the right place for me to groom myself into adulthood. I met some of my bestest friends but also lost some along the way. I experienced some of my most happiest times and also some of the solemnest moments. Just as Heraclitus rightly said so, “Change is the only constant”, things come to an end while new beginnings sprout. Ten year is indeed a nice whole number to complete my journey in the US.

Boston, I’m afraid we've finally broken up. It has been a bumpy ride but I have to say it was worth every moment. I would not be where I am now without you. But I’m still damn glad that I will no longer be cursed by your never-ending, butt-freezing winters!! ^_-

P.S. Please spare me on writing a Chinese version. I write in Chinese almost everyday now. =P

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Viewfinder | 尋心鏡 | TNB